For this article, I will discuss
French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with cheese floating on top.
I've made this recipe many times exactly as. A French Onion Soup recipe we heard you say!? No problem, French Guy Cooking to the rescue. You can have French Onion Soup using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- It's 4 Tbsp of butter.
- It's 4 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 7 cups of sliced onions (about 7 medium onions).
- You need 3 Tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 8 cups of beef broth (I use 8 cups water and 8 packets beef bovril).
- You need 1 clove of garlic sliced.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry white wine.
- Prepare 1 stick of French bread sliced into 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick pieces.
- You need of Swiss gruyere or mozzarella cheese (thinly sliced or grated).
Sweet onions, melted cheese and finished with a gnarly top, this. Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock. Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home.
French Onion Soup step by step
- Melt butter in large sauce pan then add 2 Tbsp olive oil..
- Stir in onions, garlic and sugar..
- Cook uncovered over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown..
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for another 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly..
- Add beef stock and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for another 30 to 40 minutes..
- While the soup simmers, prepare the bread..
- Brush bread slices lightly with remaining olive oil on both sides and put on pan in 350 degree oven. Lightly toast each side (turn part way)..
- Ladle soup into individual oven proof bowls and top with 2 or 3 slices of French bread followed by the cheese..
- Put oven proof bowls on a baking pan and bake in 350 degree for 10 to 20 minutes until cheese is melted..
This savoury soup is perfect for using up a garden glut and great for dinner parties. The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Take care towards the end to ensure that they don't burn. Alton makes traditional French onion soup with a crust of bread and cheese. French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking.
Thus our article which we give the title: