For this article, I will discuss
French Onion Soup. Stay warm with this GREAT French onion soup! With beef stock base, slow-cooked caramelized onions, French bread, gruyere and Parmesan cheese. French onion soup (French: soupe à l'oignon [sup a lɔɲɔ̃]) is a type of soup usually based on meat stock and onions, and often served gratinéed with croutons or a larger piece of bread covered with cheese floating on top.
I've made this recipe many times exactly as. A French Onion Soup recipe we heard you say!? No problem, French Guy Cooking to the rescue. You can have French Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- Prepare of unsalted butter.
- You need of onions, sliced.
- Prepare of garlic cloves, chopped.
- You need of bay leaves.
- You need of fresh thyme sprigs.
- Prepare of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- You need of red wine, about 1/2 bottle.
- It's of heaping Tbsp all-purpose flour.
- Prepare of beef broth.
- It's of baguette, sliced.
- It's of grated Gruyere.
Sweet onions, melted cheese and finished with a gnarly top, this. Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe! It's easy to make, full of amazing flavor, and can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock. Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home.
French Onion Soup step by step
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs..
- Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes..
- When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes..
- Ladle the soup in bowls and float several of the Gruyere croutons on top..
- Alternative method: Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese. Put the bowls into the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese..
This savoury soup is perfect for using up a garden glut and great for dinner parties. The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Take care towards the end to ensure that they don't burn. Alton makes traditional French onion soup with a crust of bread and cheese. French onion soup is a bistro classic, the most homey and delicious example of good café cooking.
Thus our article which we give the title: