For this article, I will discuss
T' Jim's New Orleans Red Beans & Rice.
You can have T' Jim's New Orleans Red Beans & Rice using 19 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of T' Jim's New Orleans Red Beans & Rice
- You need of Ingredients.
- It's of vegetable oil.
- It's of onion, chopped.
- You need of green bell pepper, chopped.
- You need of celery, chopped.
- You need of sea salt.
- It's of cayenne pepper.
- You need of ground black pepper.
- Prepare of thyme.
- It's of bay leaves.
- You need of boiled ham, cubed.
- You need of andouille, sliced.
- Prepare of dried red beans.
- It's of garlic, minced.
- Prepare of to 10 cups of water.
- You need of picked jalapeno juice.
- It's of Garnish.
- It's of fresh parsley, chopped.
- Prepare of picked jalapeno slices.
T' Jim's New Orleans Red Beans & Rice step by step
- Soak the red beans over night in water to cover by 2 inches..
- Add a little extra oil to a medium size soup pot and brown off the andouille over medium high heat making sure to get a nice crust on the pieces. Set aside..
- In the same pot over medium heat, add the 2 tablespoons of oil, onion, bell pepper, celery, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and thyme. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes..
- Add the andouille back into the pot along with the ham and bay leaves. Saute for another 5 to 6 minutes..
- As the red beans, garlic, and water to cover the beans. Water level should be 3/4 the way up the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Let the beans simmer uncovered for about 3 hours occasionally stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to make sure nothing is sticking..
- As the beans cook, you will notice the level go down due to evaporation, that is exactly what you want. When the level reaches halfway, add water to get it back up to 3/4 off the pot..
- On the third addition of water, you will begin making some of the beans against the side of the pot, this is what make them creamy in the end. Do not mash all of them though..
- Continue simmering until enough evaporation gives you some creamy and saucy red beans..
- Cut off the heat and stir in the pickled jalapeno juice. This adds some acidity that will really make everything pop..
- Ladle over some rice and garnish with a little parsley and a few slice of pickled jalapeno..
Thus our article which we give the title: