For this article, I will discuss
Monday Red Beans and Rice. Red beans and rice became a traditional dish on Mondays in New Orleans because it made use of the ham bone left over from Sunday dinner. Monday was typically wash day, and the beans could be simmered for a long time on the back of the stove while the laundry was being done. Red Beans and Rice is a popular dish in New Orleans, traditionally prepared and served on Monday nights.
The beans are cooked just right - perfectly tender, served with rice and smoky andouille But until then, I'll be making the creamiest red beans and rice on the daily. I've done a ton of research and development for this, eating so much red beans. I grew up in Louisiana and love red beans and rice; these are just like I remember--red beans made with Cajun seasonings and Andouille sausage. You can have Monday Red Beans and Rice using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Monday Red Beans and Rice
- You need 1 lb of Andouille sausage.
- It's 1 lb of ham chunks.
- You need 4 cans of light red kidney beans.
- You need 1 cup of chopped onions.
- It's 1 cup of chopped celery.
- It's of vegetable broth.
- It's 1 (12 oz) of can beer.
- You need to taste of Zatarain's gumbo file.
- Prepare to taste of Tony Chachere's seasoning.
- It's to taste of Tabasco sauce.
- You need of cooked rice for service.
I adapted the Monday-night red beans tradition and filled the table with an ever-changing group of pals, family, friends-of-friends, travelers. Red beans and rice are synonymous with New Orleans, but how did that become so? In an earlier post on Haitian Soupe Joumou (Beef and Pumpkin Soup), I shared its connection to the successful Haitian slave revolt against the French. Monday is red beans and rice day in NOLA.
Monday Red Beans and Rice instructions
- Sweat meat, onions, celery in a Dutch oven with seasonings, deglaze with vegatable broth..
- Add the 4 cans of beans, including the liquid and scraping the bean liquor from the bottom of each can and add to pot. Stir until ingredients are incorporated..
- Add the beer, and stir gently. Cook until reduced by half, should take about 1 hour to 90 minutes on medium heat. Stir often to prevent sticking..
- Allow to cool at least 15 minutes, serve over rice, season to taste, enjoy..
Red beans and rice is the traditional Monday dish in New Orleans. Serve kidney beans over rice and garnish with chopped green onions. Add dashes of Louisiana hot sauce to taste, and enjoy a delicious and healthy Deep South traditional dish of red beans and rice. Red beans and rice are a signature of N'awlins Cajun cuisine and now you can make it as delicious as the classic. In New Orleans, Sunday is ham night, and on Monday, the leftover ham and the ham bone are used to make Red Beans and Rice, a traditional Creole stew that can be prepped quickly.
Thus our article which we give the title: