For this article, I will discuss
South Indian Vegetable Sambar. South Indian sambar is a delicious thick lentil stew made with dal aka lentils, mixed vegetables, tamarind & spice powder known as sambar masala. Vegetables like drumsticks, tomatoes & okra are used. This South Indian sambar is the best you can make at home to enjoy with your rice.
Sambar - south Indian lentil stew made with vegetables, lentils and a special blend of spices. It's best enjoyed with rice, idli or dosa. Don't let the list of ingredients intimidate When we eat South Indian food in restaurants, my focus is always more on the sambar and chutneys than the idli and dosa. You can cook South Indian Vegetable Sambar using 20 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of South Indian Vegetable Sambar
- Prepare of Pigeon Pea Lentils.
- It's of Red Lentils or Masoor.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of Kashmiri Red chilli powder.
- You need of Turmeric powder.
- You need of Sambar powder.
- Prepare of Brinjal cut lengthwise.
- Prepare of Drumsticks cut into pieces.
- It's of Carrots thinly cut.
- It's of French Beans cut into long pieces.
- You need of Okra cut into two each.
- It's of Shallots.
- It's of Tomatoes finely chopped.
- Prepare of FOR THE TEMPERING -.
- You need of Oil.
- It's of Mustard Seeds.
- It's of Asafoetida.
- It's of Dry Red chillies.
- It's of Curry Leaves.
- Prepare of Garlic cloves sliced.
Cookbook author Madhur Jaffrey describes sambar as "a split-pea stew which is varied daily with the addition of What we discovered in our test kitchen is that any combination of vegetables, such as yams, zucchini, or eggplant, can be added to this aromatic. Sambar is this delicious South Indian lentil and vegetable stew that you've never heard of. It's something you need to try for yourself. I think it's only on two Indian restaurant menus in town.
South Indian Vegetable Sambar step by step
- Pressure cook dal along with little Salt added for about 5-6 whistles. Let the pressure settle down before opening the lid. Keep it aside until use. Soak Tamarind in enough water for about 15 minutes or so. Squeeze the juice out of it and keep aside..
- To a cooking pot, add chopped Vegetables along with Turmeric and Kashmiri Red Chilli powders. Add Tamarind juice and Sambar powder also. And addition of water depends accordingly. Therefore add it until the Veggies are soaked in it. Cover it and let that simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes..
- After the Veggies are cooked well, stir in cooked Dal in it. See to it that the Veggies are not over cooked. Mix well and adjust the consistency by adding some hot water..
- After done, heat oil in a pan. Add Mustard Seeds and Curry Leaves. Also add dry Red Chillies and Garlic Cloves too. Add this tempering to the hot Sambar. Serve this quick Vegetable Sambar with Idlis, Dosas or even plain Rice..
Sambar is South Indian lentil and vegetable stew made with lentils ,tamarind and unique blend spice blend together called sambar powder. Sambar is mainly a South Indian Lentil Stew. It is made with lentils, vegetables, tamarind and spices. I have heard the question frequently about which dal (lentil) to use when making sambar. I make sambar mostly with split pigeon pea (toor or arhar dal), but it can be.
Thus our article which we give the title: