For this article, I will discuss
Southern Indian Lentil Stew - Sambar/Kuah Dalca.
You can cook Southern Indian Lentil Stew - Sambar/Kuah Dalca using 26 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Southern Indian Lentil Stew - Sambar/Kuah Dalca
- Prepare of [For Lentil Base].
- Prepare of Yellow Lentils.
- Prepare of Water (for boiling).
- You need of [Sambar Paste].
- You need of Fresh Red Chillies (deseed, chopped roughly).
- It's of Fresh Turmeric (roughly chopped).
- Prepare of Coriander Seeds.
- You need of Cumin Seeds.
- Prepare of Fenugreek Seeds.
- You need of Mustard Seeds.
- You need of Black Gram (Urad Dal).
- Prepare of Split Chickpea (Chana Dal).
- It's of Curry Leaves.
- You need of Asafoetida (optional).
- It's of Cooking Oil.
- It's of [Stew] - add your own veggies.
- It's of Carrots (rough dice).
- Prepare of Eggplant (rough slice).
- Prepare of Tomatoes (rough dice).
- It's of Green Chillies (slit).
- You need of Red Chillies (slit).
- Prepare of Fresh Coriander (rough chop, stem and leaves separated).
- You need of Water (for stewing).
- You need of Palm Sugar.
- You need of Tamarind Slice or Juice from 2 Tbsp Tamarind Paste.
- It's of Salt (by my count, 1 tsp).
Southern Indian Lentil Stew - Sambar/Kuah Dalca step by step
- LENTILS: Add 1 cup of Lentils into a pot with 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add 1 cup of water each time the liquid has evaporated. Stir the bottom occasionally and continue cooking until the Lentils have soften and turn to mush. Once cooked, Turn OFF the heat and let it cool. Once cooled, blend the Lentils with 1 cup of water until smooth and set aside..
- SAMBAR PASTE: heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a pan until hot. Add the Coriander Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek, Mustard Seeds, Black Gram, Chickpea, Curry Leaves and fry them for 10 seconds. Then add the Chillies and the Turmeric mix well and fry them for 30 seconds. TURN OFF the heat and let it cool. Once cooled, ground the ingredients (in a food processor or mortar pestel) with the Asafoetida and set aside..
- ASSEMBLY: in a large pot, combine all your Vegetables with 4-5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Then add the Sambar Paste and mix well until the Paste dissolves completely. Then add the Tamarind Slice (or Tamarind Juice) and Palm Sugar. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes. After that, add the Lentils, Fresh Coriander Stems, Salt and mix well. Continue to cook until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. Once cooked, turn off the heat and add the Fresh Coriander Leaves, mix well and serve..
Thus our article which we give the title: