For this article, I will discuss
Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu (Shallots in tamarind sauce).
You can have Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu (Shallots in tamarind sauce) using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu (Shallots in tamarind sauce)
- Prepare of Shallots.
- You need of sesame oil.
- Prepare of salt.
- It's of tamarind extract.
- Prepare of water.
- You need of mustard seeds.
- It's of asafoetida.
- It's of fenugreek methi seeds / / vendhayam.
- You need of fennel saunf / / sombu.
- You need of curry leaves.
- You need of sesame oil.
- You need of black peppercorns mirch / kaala / millagu.
- You need of fenugreek methi seeds / / vendhayam.
- Prepare of garlic.
- It's of onion finely chopped medium size.
- You need of tomatoes finely chopped medium size.
- Prepare of coconut scrapings.
- You need of turmeric.
- It's of red chilli powder.
- Prepare of kuzhmabu podi (See notes).
Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu (Shallots in tamarind sauce) instructions
- First steep the tamarind in lukewarm water for 10 minutes and take its extract. You can either blend this in a blender or you squeeze out its juice with your hand. You need to approximately get around 200 ml of this..
- Take a wok / kadaai, keep it on medium heat. Add 2 tbsps of oil. First crackle the peppercorns, then add methi seeds, garlic, finely chopped onions and tomatoes. Saute this until tomatoes turn tender and mushy. Now add turmeric, red chilly powder and kuzhambu podi saute this..
- Turn off the heat and transfer the roasted contents to a blender jar, along with this add the coconut scrapings. Allow this to cool down for 5 minutes..
- After this cools down, without adding any water grind this to a fine paste..
- Now take a cooking pot or a steel vessel, keep this on medium heat, add 4 tbsps of sesame oil, when its heated up (takes about less than a minute), temper the mustard seeds,asafoetida, methi seeds, fennel and curry leaves, then add the shallots and saute this until the shallots turn translucent (will approximately take about a minute or two)..
- When the shallots turn translucent, your kitchen will be filled with wonderful aroma, at this stage add the tamarind extract. Add it slowly because you are adding liquid on to a hot oil, hence it will start sizzling. Add the extract from the corner of the vessel, it will sizzle but it will not splutter on you. Add the required amount of salt for this dish..
- Allow it to boil for 4-5 minutes or until the raw smell leaves..
- Now add the prepared paste to this concoction and stir. Add about 200 ml of water. Let it boil for another 2 minutes..
- Take it off the heat serve it hot with plain rice..
Thus our article which we give the title: