For this article, I will discuss
Vidalia French Onion Soup.
You can cook Vidalia French Onion Soup using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vidalia French Onion Soup
- Prepare 1 1/2 pounds of Vidalia onion -- sliced paper thin.
- You need 2 ounces of butter.
- Prepare 50 ounces of Beef stock- *(note be careful some store brands are very high in salt and as you cook it down it may get salty).
- Prepare 4 ounces of dry sherry wine (*optional see note at bottom).
- It's 1/4 teaspoon of thyme.
- You need 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Prepare 4 slices of toasted French bread slices or any bread you like:).
- You need 4 slices of Swiss cheese.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper -- to taste at the end of the cooking process.
Vidalia French Onion Soup step by step
- For french bread, slice 4 pieces a 1/2 inch thick brush with olive oil and place on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and delicious..
- In a 3 qt sauce pot/pan,Saute the onions in the butter over low to moderate heat. Carefully caramelize the onions thoroughly without burning..
- Deglaze the pan with 6 ounces (250 milliliters) of the beef stock. Cook until all the stock has gone and the browning continues..
- Repeat this process until the onions are a very dark, evenly brown.about three times. (* optional sherry wine add now).
- Add the remaining beef stock and thyme and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 20 minutes to develop flavor. Adjust the seasonings..
- Serve in oven proof bowls. Fill the bowl 85% of the way. Top each portion with a slice of toasted French bread and a slice of Swiss cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and lightly browned..
- We are a high school so Sherry Wine is frowned upon:( This recipe comes out great without sherry. That being said adding 4 ounces of dry sherry just before you add the remaining stock does add some extra flavor.
Thus our article which we give the title: